The Person Behind The Posts

Friday, April 12, 2013

Feeling Israeli


One of the experiences of being an immigrant, and I believe this applies to all immigrants everywhere, is that, at least initially, you lose the ability to pick up on subtle environmental cues. So you either see things but don't really understand their significance, or you just don't see them at all, at least until you become more acculturated.

Walking down the hill yesterday afternoon, my visual field was overwhelmed with the multitudinous Israeli flags that have popped up recently. I know Yom HaAtzma'ut is coming, so my immigrant brain was able to process this change in the environment.

I also saw a group of preteen girls walking around with a purloined grocery shopping cart filled with sticks and scraps of wood. I know Lag B'Omer is coming, so I deduced that they are collecting wood to make a traditional Lag B'Omer bonfire.

Then I saw this flag with homemade addition of a bit of orange tape. I discerned that the owner was imploring us to remember Gush Katif. That touched me the most. And I was gratified to be sufficiently culturally attuned to grasp the message.

For immigrants who have been here a long time, this will seem like no big deal. But for newbies like me, it helps me feel more at home in Israel when I understand even things that are not spoken.

Yes indeed, I'm feeling very Israeli today.

3 comments:

SaraK said...

I love the feeling when you think "Oh, I get this now!"
Chag Atzma'ut Sameach!

Bat Aliyah said...

Yes SaraK. That's it exactly!

Anonymous said...

I hope you also noticed the extra little grills that are abundant in the grocery stores as well as huge supplies of chummus and of course meats....You will also notice extra ordinary long lines on Sunday and Monday at the super market - it's an erev chag just like all other chag with its own food related products.... Enjoy your chag! "Nifnuf naim" (it means that you should enjoy fanning your bbq :)